Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Blues

I was just evaluating why I'm experiencing the "blues" today. It started with 2 1/2 hours at Firestone waiting for my car - about $700 worth of stuff had to be done. The van is also in need of repairs so that got me going I think. I was sitting there at one point and thought it felt like Colorado. Now you need to understand that whenever I think of Colorado there is good and tough stuff there. Colorado was the loneliness time of my life. I felt shelved by the Lord and didn't have any "running around" friends. I had a wonderful job and some wonderful people in my life but I was very 'alone' on weekends and evenings. That is what it felt like today at Firestone. Now truth is that in Colorado and here, there are people in my life and I am loved...that doesn't change how I was feeling at the moment.

So, tonight I was thinking about how I'm about to turn 50 and wondering about life choices I've made and things that might be different. Then it hit me, I needed to get up and get the lights on in the house, turn on some praise music and count my blessings. Mind you, that doesn't change some things in my life but it does help me to see things more clearly. I'm facing a new job and while I'm excited about it, I still have the same feelings I did when I was in my 20's starting something new, 'will I be good at this job?', 'will the people like me?', 'will I like the people?'

Somethings never change and others get better with time or at least become more in focused. This one thing I know, that Jesus has taken good care of me! He didn't die on the cross so that I would walk in failure, sadness, or defeat. No, whatever comes my way, Jesus is for me. Victory may not look like the world's idea of success but victory in my heart and life will look like the Kingdom of God. So while I'm battling the blues I choose now to praise God for all He has done in my life. If that doesn't chase the blues away, nothing will!

See, God has given me a house of my own. He's given me 2 cars, my family close by, a loving church family, friends I love and enjoy, and now a job! But those things aren't the best of what He's given me. He's teaching me patience in circumstances and with people. He's given me peace that makes no earthly sense. He loves me with an amazing eternal love I can't begin to comprehend and He's so merciful that when I sin, He's there to teach me from it and forgive me of it. Yeah, I think reflecting on these things can chase away the blues. I'm feeling better already. Off now to get somethings done around this lovely earthly home He's given me.

No comments: