Tuesday, May 15, 2007

After the Fast

Well, today is the first day after a 40 day Fast that was called by our church Body. I have to admit it was good to eat some meat this a.m. and have a diet coke! But there are some things that I don't want to forget from this fast. We were fasting for the repentance of our nation. It was ended last night by a solemn assembly which was good! We spoke out the sins of our nation and asked God to forgive us, we worshipped and we had some quiet time of reflection.

One thing that God spoke over and over to me about our nation and specifically about me ~ is a our tendency to grumble over things we don't have. We are the richest people in the world materially and yet instead of being thankful that we have a car - unlike many in the world, we grumble because it's not a new car or a nice car. That instead of being truly thankful for our food we grumble because we fast from meat - when most people don't eat meat every day or even every week. It was very profound to be reminded just how RICH I really him. The mere fact that I'm typing on a computer, sitting at a desk, wearing different clothes each day, turning on a water facet to get water rather than walking to a well all speak of how wealthy I am and how wealthy others are. So, now, to live with that knowledge and to watch my attitude is the challenge I leave this fast with. What an amazing God we have that he would even desire to bless me! Thank you God for the blessing of living in a free country with many wonderful blessings!

1 comment:

Julie said...

I just remembered that this was what I was going to ask you about when I forgot.