Monday, September 1, 2008

SEASONS

I'm reminded that God takes us through different seasons. This season of life seems somewhat like fall. Things are dying off, while there are bright colors you know that death is about to follow...or a time of being dormant. Some things in me need to die. My self interest, my selfishness, some ugly attitudes, and a lack of gratefulness.

As I was typing the above, I was reminded of when I was in an interview, there were 2 people in the interview for graduate school. The man asked me what I felt was an area I had improved in and grown in. I gave him an answer I don't remember now, then a few questions later he asked me what area did I need to grow and change in. I said the same area I had told him I'd seen growth in. He was all over that...'but you just said earlier that you had really grown in that area. Which is true?' I remember smiling and explaining to him that while I had seen great growth in that area, I still had a long way to go so they were both true. That's the way of life isn't it? We grow in an area and yet we still see need for growth. Pride, materialism, quick to form opinions or judgements, a lack of prayer or time in the word, ALL of these are better than they had been but not what they should be. And what should they be? Better than they were the day before.

This season is peppered with opportunities to serve and I'm asking God to show me how to serve better, to love more, to be kinder, more committed, more faithful....less of me, more of Jesus.

So after fall comes winter. When all looks and feels cold. When trees seem to have no fruit, all that is happening is deep down, hidden from all eyes. Is that the season we are heading to next Lord?

Seasons....something I need to ponder more.

No comments: